If you are depressed by the rainy, foggy, winter weather of Champaign Urbana Savoy, you might pass the time reading the weather records of the area. Following are some bits and pieces of info on weather in this area. Just for the record, Today's high of 61°F (17° C) was the highest for this day (December 27) in the last 100 years!! It tied the all time high record for this day ... the only so hot December 27 in recorded history was in 1907.
- Average warmest month: July
- The record high is 109° F (43°C) on July 14, 1954.
- Coolest month: January.
The record low is -25° F (-32°C) on four(!) occasions: 9 Feb 1899, 13 Feb 1905, 19 Jan 1994, and 5 Jan 1999.
- The most precipitation on average occurs in May.
- The maximum seasonal snowfall was 67.2 inches in the winter of 1977-78.
- The minimum seasonal snowfall was 6.7 inches in the winter of 1953-54.
The greatest depth of snow on the ground was 19 inches on February 8-10, 1982.
The greatest 24-hour snowfall was 15 inches on January 1-2, 1999.
The average date of the first measurable snow (one-tenth of an inch or more) is November 23.
The average date of the first 1-inch snow (1 inch or more) is December 2.
The average date of the last spring frost is April 15.
The average date of the first fall frost is October 17.